One of our dearest Silda's Jam friends suggested we experiment with her recipe. We had so much fun getting input and kitchen help from the cooks among us, and we even ended up with a dish that my sister described as "the best new dish I've had in 10 years"!
Judy's One Pan Jammin' Chicken
You will need:
2-3 medium size sweet potatoes
1-2 heads of broccoli
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2/3 cup of Silda's Gingerbread Peach jam
1/4 - 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, to taste
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more to drizzle
Salt and pepper
2 blocks of feta cheese, cut in half
Fresh thyme sprigs
Large glass baking pan
Covered glass dish to steam potatoes and broccoli in microwave
Notes: This recipe can be expanded and contracted as needed. We had tons of people, so we doubled the recipe and used two baking pans. Plus, we had some vegetarian and vegan folks as well, so we baked more sweet potatoes and broccoli in a separate dish. Also, you can substitute tofu for the chicken and leave out feta in the original recipe for vegan and/or use the feta blocks instead of chicken for vegetarian versions of this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Cut up the sweet potatoes (with skin); place them in covered glass dish with a very small amount of water; cook on high in microwave for 6 to12 minutes until potatoes are soft but still hold their shape, not mushy); drain any water and put the sweet potatoes to one side.
- Cut the broccoli into florets; place them in covered glass dish with very small amount of water; cook on high for 5 to 8 minutes until softened but still firm in form; drain any water and put the broccoli to one side.
- Drizzle small amount of olive oil into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Season chicken thighs with a sprinkle of salt on both sides and place in the center of the pan.
- Meanwhile, whisk together Silda's Gingerbread Peach jam, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place a half block of feta alongside the chicken in the center of each side of the baking dish and fill in the spaces in between with sweet potatoes and broccoli. The vegetables and feta will form a ring around the chicken thighs in the center of the pan. Drizzle the ring with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread the glaze mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Spread thyme sprigs over all.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, and cook for 35 - 40 minutes until the chicken thighs are brown and the liquid in the dish is bubbling.
Photo credits: Jill Wall